Distance learning averted … for now

Malachi Gibson/TTT

Third grade students work on ChromeBooks Thursday at Days Creek Charter School. But all students might be forced to learn from home if Covid-19 cases continue to increase in Douglas County.

Staff

DAYS CREEK — It is the outcome the student body is fearing the most: distance learning.

Increasing levels of Covid-19 cases in Douglas County put in-person learning at Days Creek Charter School at risk last week. But updated benchmarks from the state released Friday kept the school doors open, at least for now.

“Days Creek can remain open for in-person instruction because we opened under the initial rural and remote exceptions as long as (Douglas County) case rates remain below 100 cases per 100,000,” Superintendent Steve Woods said in a letter to parents Friday.

Earlier in the week, a 35th positive test in the county put Days Creek at risk of closure, based on previous guidelines from the state.

There are still other possible scenarios, Woods said. Governor [Kate Brown] is contemplating different metrics, which may be more relaxed or more stringent. 

“As an educator I’m not in favor of it because it’s better for the students to be in school,” said student success coordinator Cathy Knapp. “But if that’s what we had to do then that’s what we have to do.”

Some students chose to be distant learners instead of having in-person class. One distant learner named Sam Stiles said, “it helps her stay on track at her own pace and the teachers sometimes seem to be more lenient.” The one downside she mentioned was that it isn’t as fun because she sees all her friends hanging out at school when she can’t.

Woods cautioned that further guidelines could mean going back to distance learning after all.