Opinion: Homework stresses teens to the limit

Breanna Milliron

Students at Days Creek are very stressed due to the amount of homework and class work they are receiving. The amount of stress being put on these children is unhealthy, emotionally and physically. 

Homework causes a great amount of stress which can lead you to poor mental health problems, such as depression, anxiety, sleep deprivation, and many more bad things. 

Academic related stress can decrease motivation, reduce academic achievement, and increase the risk of a school drop out. 

“It would be a lot easier and less stressful if we didn’t have as many English assignments because at this point it feels like we are doing college level work,¨ Junior Timber Summerfield said. 

Researchers found that excessive homework means students are not able to meet their developmental needs or cultivate other critical life skills at the same time. In other words, students are more likely to give up extracurricular activities, spend less time with friends and family, and stop pursuing their hobbies. 

Bre Milliron

To conduct the study, researchers surveyed more than 4,300 students at 10 high-performing high schools in upper middle-class California communities. They also interviewed students about their views on homework.

When it came to stress, more than 70 percent of students said they were “often or always stressed over schoolwork,” with 56 percent listing homework as a primary stressor. 

Less than 1 percent of the students said homework was not a stressor. The researchers asked students whether they experienced physical symptoms of stress, such as headaches, exhaustion, sleep deprivation, weight loss, and stomach problems. 

More than 80 percent of students reported having at least one stress-related symptom in the past month, and 44 percent said they had experienced three or more symptoms. I think the amount of work we receive is unreasonable and should be limited. 

Work cited https://www.healthline.com/health-news/children-more-homework-means-more-stress-031114#Consequences-for-high-school-students-